September 2016

Dangerous sex offender targeted Leeds schoolgirls

A DANGEROUS sex offender who drove around Leeds targeting schoolgirls after being released from prison on licence has been returned to jail.

Yasir Mohammed, 32, was caught thanks a resident who spotted him behaving suspiciously in the Carr Manor area of the city in June this year.

Leeds Crown Court heard Mohammed was given an eight-year prison sentence in September 2011 for serious sexual offences against two girls under the age of 13.

He was released on licence midway through the sentence but was the subject of a sexual offences prevention order banning him from having unsupervised contact with children.

Carmel Pearson, prosecuting, said Mohammed drove alongside a 14-year-old girl as she walked along Carr Manor Road on June 10 this year.

The girl was wearing her school uniform at the time of the incident.

Mohammed wound down the window of his vehicle before winking at her and trying to talk to her.

Miss Pearson said the youngster was scared and continued to walk away but Mohammed followed her. She told Mohammed to stop following her and told him she had taken a picture of his car using her mobile phone.

A resident of the street witnessed the incident and contacted police four days later when she saw the vehicle again as Mohammed approached a bus stop and began speaking to another schoolgirl.

The vehicle registration number was passed to officers who were then able to trace Mohammed. Mohammed, of Allerton Grange Crescent, Moor Allerton, initially denied committing any offences and said he had been at the mosque at the time.

He also claimed he had sold his car to another man. Mohammed pleaded guilty to two offences of breaching a sexual offences prevention order.

A probation service report described Mohammed as having little motivation to address his offending.

Ian Cook, mitigating, said Mohammed admitted the offences at an early stage to prevent the victims having to come to court to give evidence.

Mr Cook said Mohammed had been recalled to prison after being arrested.

Judge Sally Cahill, QC, jailed Mohammed for three years and ordered that he must serve an extended period on licence of two years.

The judge said: “I am satisfied that young girls are at risk from you and I am satisfied that you are a dangerous offender.”