Fourth man guilty of child sex offences in Sabaton trial
A “PREDATORY” paedophile in a gang of abusers who preyed on a “vulnerable” schoolgirl in care can finally be named more than two months after he was convicted.
Naim Khan was one of four men convicted by jurors in June after police investigation Operation Sabaton discovered they had groomed and sexually exploited the teenager, known as Girl A, in Oxford between 1999 and 2007.
His guilt had to be kept hidden from the public after a reporting restriction imposed at court banned the Oxford Mail from naming him as the jury were unable to decide on a number of other charges involving a second girl, known as Girl B.
Khan was due to face a second trial in January after denying a number of sexual offences against the teenager.
But in a prosecution U-turn yesterday, he was acquitted after the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) offered no evidence when Girl B, who had been involved in the first trial, said she did not want to give evidence again.
Assad Hussain (left), Anjum Dogar and Akhtar Dogar (right)
During the two-month trial earlier this year, the court heard how 38-year-old Khan was part of the gang which sexually abused Girl A.
Giving evidence, she told jurors she had a “silent agreement” with the men, performing sex acts for them in exchange for drink and drugs.
Khan, of Herschel Crescent, Oxford, was convicted in June of indecently assaulting Girl A on multiple occasions, along with supplying heroin and cocaine to groom her, but acquitted of a further count of indecent assault and rape.
Jurors were also told he had admitted taking indecent photographs of Girl B before the trial began, but no decision on further charges relating to her could be decided upon.
In an interview with police, he said he filmed the girl “for a laugh” because he could not believe she was having sex in front of him but denied knowing she was underage
Senior investigating officer of major crime Det Ch Insp Mark Glover said it was “disgusting” Khan filmed the sex act, adding he was pleased at the result.
He added: “I am glad that a predatory offender has been taken off the streets. Khan used his supplying of class A drugs to groom and sexually abuse a vulnerable young female.
“It was not a one-off. It was continual abusing by him.”
Following the trial, the CPS met with Girl B but was non-committal about giving evidence a second time at a re-trial.
Prosecutor Jai Patel told the court meetings later took place with the woman, who was “reluctant” to engage with officers, adding: “During the course of these meetings, she indicated that she did not want to give evidence or support any future prosecution.”
Judge Ian Pringle QC told the court he “fully respected” the decision made by the CPS and “understood” the prosecution’s reasons for dropping charges against both men.
Khan was therefore yesterday acquitted of two counts of sexual activity of a child and one count of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity between 2007 and 2009.
He was remanded in custody for the previous offences and is due before the court for sentence on November 3.
THE depravity of a gang of child rapists who plied their young victim with drink and drugs during years of torment was exposed when they were jailed for a total of 32 years following a trial this summer.
Serial sex offenders Assad Hussain, Akhtar Dogar and Anjum Dogar, were convicted in June of a spate of sex offences after grooming their victim, known as Girl A.
The trio had already been locked up three years ago for their part in a sadistic child sex ring uncovered by the police investigation Operation Bullfinch before being arrested further offences.
During this year’s trial, which started in April, Oxford Crown Court heard the men started abusing their “doll-like” victim, who a social worker said looked younger than her age at 14 and had the frame of a nine or 10-year-old, when she was 15.
She would often go missing from the children’s home where she lived, responding by simply saying “out” when quizzed on her whereabouts.
The victim was indecently assaulted in Jackdaw Lane, threatened at Shotover Park and raped in a flat in East Oxford – all revealed to be locations where girls were abused in Operation Bullfinch.
During the trial, Assad Hussain, Anjum Dogar, Akhtar Dogar, Owais Khan, Alladitta Yousef, Naim Khan and Qasim Hussain denied a total of 41 offences against Girl a and Girl B between 1999 and 2009.
Owais Khan, 32, of Belvedere Road, Oxford, and Alladitta Yousef, 46, of Bodley Road, Oxford, were acquitted of all charges.
Assad Hussain was jailed for 12 years, while the Dogar brothers were jailed for 10 years but were told sentences would run concurrently to the life sentences they are serving for Operation Bullfinch.
They were made subject to sexual harm prevention orders and told they must sign the sex offenders register for life.
Thames Valley Police has said it will listen to and support all victims of child sexual exploitation, who can come forward by calling 101 or ringing Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.