September 2016

Former Coventry man jailed for ten years for raping girl in the 1980s

A former Coventry man who raped a schoolgirl in the 1980s was arrested after returning to this country from America where he has become a US citizen.

At Warwick Crown Court, Alwyn Wilkinson pleaded guilty to two charges of rape, one of attempted rape and three of indecently assaulting his young victim.

Wilkinson, aged 57, who has been living in San Bernadino, California, where he is said to be “an upstanding member of the community” was jailed for ten years.

The former Binley resident was also ordered to register as a sex offender for life.

Jailing Wilkinson, Judge Sylvia de Bertodano told him: “You are here because of things that happened a very long time ago, back in the 1980s when you were in your mid-20s.

“You raped her by having sex with her without her consent, and it did not happen just once.

“There are not many worse things you can do than use a child of this age as a sexual object.

“You are now a very different person to that person in his 20s. But she has not been able to move on. Her life has been blighted by this.”

Prosecutor David Jackson said that at the time of the offences towards the end of the 1980s the girl was 12 and in her early teens, and Wilkinson was in his late 20s and early 30s.

The first incident happened when Wilkinson was at her family’s home and the second was at the home of one of Wilkinson’s friends.

On another occasion the girl was on a river bank where Wilkinson had gone fishing, and he got her onto the ground and got on top of her, but stopped when he heard other people approaching.

Two or three years after that final incident Wilkinson moved to America, from where he wrote a letter to the girl in which he made some admissions and an apology for what he had done.

In around 2000 his victim was at a social services group when there was a discussion about sexual abuse, at which she became upset and told a social worker what had happened.

But she did not report matters to the police until 2014, and Wilkinson was arrested after returning to the UK on a visit.

When he was questioned, he made “limited admissions” but suggested the girl had encouraged the activity, added Mr Jackson.