January 2018

Bristol man jailed for attempting to groom child tried again when released from prison


A paedophile jailed for trying to groom a child for sex abuse online tried again after he was released from prison.

Nathan Watson was jailed for 14 months in September 2016, after he was caught by online child protection team the Internet Interceptors.

At the time Watson admitted sending messages to what he thought was an 11-year-old girl but was actually a member of the online paedophile hunter group.

Now the 44-year-old, of Hercules Close in Little Stoke, has admitted breaching a Sexual Risk Order by trying to groom another child online. Again, his intended victim was actually a member of the same group.

Watson has also pleaded guilty to attempting to engage in sexual communication with a child. He now faces a maximum five years’ jail for the breach of the order and a maximum two years’ jail for the new offence.

Watson was due to be sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on Wednesday, January 3, but sentencing was adjourned until the end of this month for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.

The new offence involves Watson chatting online to what he thought were girls aged nine and 13.

After suggesting a cuddle with the nine-year-old, and a massage and protected sex with the 13-year-old, there was talk of a meeting in Weston-super-Mare.

But he then had a knock at his door from the founder of the same paedophile hunter group who had turned up previously.

On that previous occasion Watson admitted sending messages to someone he thought was an 11-year-old girl.

But she was in fact a member of the group, who filmed their meeting, published it online and informed police.

Back then, Watson pleaded guilty to one charge of attempting to sexually communicate with a child for the purpose of obtaining sexual gratification.

At the time Detective Constable Tony Davey, from Avon and Somerset Police, said officers believed Watson “posed a serious risk” to children.

September 2016

Paedophile who lured ’11-year-old girl’ for sex insists he’s ‘a good person’ 

A homeless paedophile who arranged to meet an 11-year-old girl was set up by vigilante pervert hunters – but when confronted insisted he is still a ‘good person’. 

Nathan Watson, 43, of Bristol, lured his young target with online messages and sent her a photo of his penis before calling her ‘baby’ when she told him she was 11.

But on the day he was meant to meet the ‘girl’ – who was actually a decoy – Watson was spooked and did not show up to the meeting place, prompting the female paedophile hunters to knock on his door and confront him.

The clip shows the moment the ‘investigators’ approach him in Bristol where he agrees to go outside to discuss the photos and messages he sent the ‘girl’.

After confirming his name he claims he wasn’t going to meet the girl because he ‘had a feeling it was a bit dodge’.

He goes on to tell the two women from ‘Internet Interceptors’ he thought the girl he was messaging was ‘quite young – 16 or 17’.

But they then appear to show him messages where the decoy tells him she is aged 11 and a reply where he wrote: ‘That’s ok baby’.

They then go on to accuse him of arranging to meet a 13-year-old in London previously and he replies: ‘S***.’

One woman then tells him: ‘It’s a bit ironic that you live across from a play park’.

But he answers ‘I’m not a – ‘ before he stops short.

The woman replies: ‘Go on, say the words ‘I’m not a paedophile’. Go on make my day.’

Watson repeats ‘I’m not, I’m not’ before calling himself ‘pathetic’ when he admits the photos he sent were of his penis.

He then tells them he was planning to do ‘charity work’ in Calais in the coming days and tries to convince the women he is ‘a good person’.

He adds: ‘I’m a good person believe it or not. I understand what you’re looking at.
‘Sometimes I don’t realise the age of people of people online. I should be a bit more savvy.’

The footage filmed at the hostel where Watson worked and lived was passed on to the police, who arrested him.

Watson pleaded guilty to attempting to sexually communicate with a child between July 14 and August 9, for the purpose of obtaining sexual gratification.

Judge Michael Roach at Bristol Crown Court on Wednesday adjourned the case pending a ‘vital’ report, for sentence on September 28.

He told Bristol Crown Court: ‘A report is ordered with no indication as to the sentence that he might receive. Obviously custody is an obvious option.’

Edward Hetherington, defending, told the court: ‘A meeting was arranged.

‘The decoy went but Mr Watson didn’t go, he stayed at home.

‘The decoy person obtained the defendant’s details online, went to his home and confronted him. He admitted to her he sent messages.’

Watson had been staying at a community building run by a homelessness charity near Bristol’s Temple Meads Station at the time of the sting.

The charity which provides home and work for 23 people kicked Watson out following the bust