Surrey man jailed after admitting sexually abusing two boys in 1970s
A Mytchett man, who had previously assaulted a disabled boy, has been jailed after admitting nine child abuse offences against two boys.
Christopher Wake, of Thornyhurst Road, carried out the sex attacks in the 1970s, Guildford Crown Court heard on Tuesday (July 26).
The court heard that Victim A was only six years old when the seven-year reign of abuse began.
Wake, a former delivery driver, admitted five charges of indecent assault and one of indecency with a child, between December 14 1970 and December 15 1977.
He also admitted three counts of indecent assault on Victim B between December 22 1973 and December 23 1975, when the boy was aged between 11 and 13.
Three charges of a similar nature, which were not specified in court, were ordered to lie on the file by a judge
It was also revealed in court that Wake was imprisoned for two years in 1991 after pleading guilty to indecently assaulting a disabled boy.
Passing sentence on Tuesday, Miss Recorder June Venters took the unusual step of directly addressing Victim A in the public gallery after reading a harrowing statement of how the abuse had blighted his life.
She said: “What happened to you was not your fault. You were only a child at the time.”
Miss Recorder Venters said: “Your suffering has not gone unnoticed. You will receive justice for the significant harm you have suffered.”
Richard Barton, prosecuting, said the assaults involved sexual touching, masturbation and oral sex.
“Neither boy said anything about it at the time,” said Mr Barton.
He said that the defendant had told Victim A: “This is our secret.”
Despite Wake’s conviction in 1991, Victim A and Victim B waited until 2010 when they were grown men before they reported their experiences to the police, said Mr Barton.
He admitted there had been delays before Wake was eventually charged.
Miss Recorder Venters said: “Any child who has been sexually abused must suffer psychological harm. It’s inconceivable that they wouldn’t.”
Keith Goodhand, defending, said: “These are serious offences of their genre.”
He said that his client had not re-offended since being released from prison after serving his 1991 sentence.
“He doesn’t want to die in prison,” said Mr Goodhand.
He said Wake would suffer from the adverse publicity surrounding the case but added: “He is entirely responsible for his own predicament.”
Miss Recorder Venters acknowledged that Wake had spared the victims the ordeal of giving evidence in court by pleading guilty but she said he should have owned up earlier.
Miss Recorder Venters said there had been no victim personal statement from Victim B but she said the one from Victim A had demonstrated the long-lasting psychological harm that he had suffered as a result of the abuse – including relationship difficulties.
Wake was jailed for five years and put on the Sex Offenders Register indefinitely.