June 2016

Woman jailed for kidnapping a nine-week-old baby


A Telford woman was today jailed for two years for kidnapping a nine-week-old baby boy from his family home in the town.

Kelly Mahon, 41, of John Broad Avenue, Arleston knocked on the front door of a family’s home on Manor Road, just streets away from her house, on February 24.

When the baby’s mother answered the door, Mahon told her that her husband and their other children had been involved in a car crash a few streets away. Mahon offered to look after the baby while his mum rushed to the aid of her family.

When the little boy’s mother returned to the address after finding there had been no collision and her family were safely on their way home, she found both Mahon and the infant were gone.

After the baby was taken a wide scale hunt for the baby and his kidnapper was launched. A vast amount of police resources were dedicated to the search.

Police officers found the child, fast asleep and uninjured, at Mahon’s home later the same day.

Officers took the sleeping baby to hospital to be checked over by staff before he was reunited with his family a short while later.

Today Mahon was jailed for two years when she appeared before Shrewsbury Crown Court. She had pleaded guilty at a hearing held on March 29.

Senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Neil Jamieson of the West Mercia Major Investigation Unit said this afternoon: “First and foremost we would like to commend the family of the little baby boy for their strength and bravery throughout this entire ordeal.

“None of us can even begin to imagine how his parent’s must have been feeling for those few hours and the agony they must have gone through.

“We are so pleased that today we have seen justice done for them.

“Crimes of this nature are, thankfully, incredibly rare but West Mercia Police does have robust systems in place to respond, should the worst happen and a dynamic investigation was immediately launched after we received the report of the child’s disappearance.

“As a result of a swift response by officers acting on lines of enquiry from the public we were thankfully able to find the baby and get him back in the safe arms of his mum and dad as soon as possible.

The parents of the baby, who have been kept anonymous, said: “While he was missing, I cannot explain in words how we felt. The thought that our practically newborn son was alone, frightened and in a strange place with someone he did not know is indescribable.

“We both felt sick. It was impossible to think straight. We just wanted to be out there looking for him ourselves.

“We cannot put into words how grateful we are to West Mercia Police for bringing our baby back to us.

“We are forever thankful for their hard work. We would also like to thank everyone who called the police to share information on who took our baby.

“This was incredibly brave and you helped bring him home safely to us. Thank you to everyone who shared the appeal, both the public and the media.

“Thank you to everyone for their kind thoughts and comments.”