UPDATE: Harrison could be released in 2016

September 2012

Plymouth rapist Shaun Harrison jailed for 1989 attack


A former policeman has said he is “so pleased” a rapist has been jailed for attacking a teenage girl 23 years ago.

Shaun Harrison, 46, of Orchard Road, Plymouth, was jailed for eight years at Plymouth Crown Court on Tuesday for raping and indecently assaulting the 16-year-old in the city centre in 1989.

He had denied the charges but was convicted as a result of DNA evidence.

Stuart Butler, who was involved in the investigation, said he hoped the jailing brought the victim closure.

Harrison dragged his victim into an alley and raped her early on a Friday evening in September 1989.

He was found guilty of rape and two counts of indecent assault at a trial in March of this year

Judge Paul Darlow told Harrison he had subjected the girl to a “terrifying and brutal” ordeal in Eastlake Street.

Harrison was also jailed for another four years for raping another woman outside a nightclub in Plymouth in 1995.

Judge Darlow said Harrison had shown “not a shred of remorse”.

He had denied two rapes and two indecent assaults but was found guilty at a trial.

Police said after the case that Harrison was identified by a sample found on the girl’s dress thanks to advances in DNA technology.

Judge Paul Darlow, sitting at Plymouth Crown Court, told Harrison he had raped the girl as she waited for her boyfriend on September 22 1989.

He added: “Brutally and terrifyingly, you took her to a secluded car park behind the shops in what is now Drake Circus and you raped her.”

Judge Darlow said Harrison had shown “not a shred of remorse” for his crimes.

He jailed him for eight years for the first rape and four for the next, with no additional sentence for the indecent assaults.

The Crown Prosecution Service offered no evidence on a string of other alleged sexual offences. The judge entered formal ‘not guilty’ verdicts.

The court heard Harrison was convicted of an assault causing grievous bodily harm in 1985, for which he was fined.