Update: Now living in Sheffield

October 2008

Why was he even here?


A convicted sex offender led police on a high speed chase in a stolen car through busy town traffic – reaching speeds of up to 90mph and carrying out a catalogue of dangerous manoeuvres before crashing into a tree and killing his front seat passenger.

Andrew Moore, aged 40, should not even have been in South Yorkshire at the time of the smash in June, having broken a deportation order banning him from the county on at least three occasions.

He was also breaching a sex offenders’ order when the collision happened, by carrying a boy under 16 in the car along with his victim Adam Thorpe, aged 18, and another 17-year-old.

Moore, who has also been known as Langham, had been banned from contact with young people after being convicted of a series of indecent assaults on young boys – including a child aged just three.

Speaking after Moore was sentenced to eight years in prison Adam’s mum Maxine, aged 39, said she had been hoping for an indeterminate sentence or the maximum sentence available – a term of 14 years.

She said: “He had chances to stop that car and he didn’t. We have to live with the consequences of that every day.

“It was a ride home for Adam that took his life away. No matter what sentence they gave him, it will not bring him back, but it would have been since to have seen justice. Going through all this has brought it all back, it’s not given me closure – it’s made it worse. It feels like it was yesterday again – that knock at the door at quarter past three in the morning.”

On the day of the smash Moore, of Norfolk Park Avenue, Norfolk Park, had taken Adam, Adam’s pal Alex Wood, Moore’s nephew Corey James, and his friend Tom Liversidge, out to the Rother Valley country park for the day.

He had arrived at the James’ house – where his brother Christopher lives – that morning driving a Ford Escort car which he claimed he had bought for 100 from a man he did not know. It had been taken at some point over the night before from outside a house in Charlotte Road, Highfield, where the keys had been left in the ignition.

After dropping Corey at a house in Arbourthorne the group then travelled onto Doncaster.

But as they drove into the town at about 8.20pm a police automatic vehicle registration device picked up that the Escort had been taken the night before and a police car began to follow them.

What followed was a dangerous, often high-speed, chase, around the streets of Carr House Road and several other residential streets in the area near Doncaster racecourse.

Moore took no notice of Give Way signs, reached speeds of 90 mph, drove into the path of on-coming traffic, skipped red lights, and deliberately rammed into one of the four police cars following him twice, Corinne Wilson, prosecuting, said. After the second collision, as they were travelling along Leger Way, Moore lost control of the car, spun across the other side of the road and smashed into a tree.

Adam, of Broom Walk, Broomhall, suffered a skull fracture and was pronounced dead at the scene.

None of the boys had known the car was stolen when they accepted a ride out in it with Moore.

He later pleaded guilty to one count of causing death by dangerous driving. The breach of the sexual offences order was ordered to lie on the file by the prosecution.

In mitigation Desmond Rosario said Moore expressed remorse for his actions that day.

But sentencing him the Recorder of Sheffield Judge Alan Goldsack said: “I reject your assertion of remorse – your only regret is that you got caught. Having no right to be in the country you decided to try and evade justice.”