Robert Walton – Newbridge
≈ Comments Off on Robert Walton – Newbridge
Update: Walton has now been released
Pensioner jailed for sexually abusing two girls under 10
A pensioner has been jailed for sexually abusing two children under 10 years old in the 1960s.
Robert Walton, aged 68, of Central Avenue, Pantside, Newbridge, was jailed at Cardiff Crown Court charged with two counts of indecent assault and one count of indecency with a child.
He denied all allegations but was found guilty of the charges by a jury at trial.
The court heard the charges relate to two girls under 10 years old, one girl was abused in a single incident and the other girl was abused over a period of two years.
The offences took place during the 1960s to 1970s when the defendant was in his mid-20s.
Jeremy Jenkins, prosecuting, told the court that in their victim impact statements the women expressed the ‘anxiety’ and ‘stress’ they felt coming up to the trial and during the proceedings.
He said: “Each expressed a difficulty all of this had on their married lives and since then.”
David Elias, defending, said Walton had a ‘serious’ heart condition and on the recent bank holiday Monday Walton was taken to hospital from prison after having a suspected heart attack.
He said the defendant’s cardiologist said his life expectancy for the next five to 10 years is 80 per cent.
The court heard Walton has no previous convictions.
Recorder Peter Rouch QC said: “You have health issues but I have been told by your consultant this issue would not be exacerbated by a term of imprisonment.
“You are before the court for so serious a matter the only appropriate sentencing would be an immediate term of imprisonment.”
Judge Rouch sentenced Walton to three years for the indecent assault to run concurrently with 12 months for indecency with a child.
He was also sentenced to 12 months for indecent assault making the total he will serve is four years. Walton has already signed the sex offender’s register.