June 2016

Pensioner jailed for series of sexual assaults on young girl


A pensioner has been jailed for a series of sexual assaults on a young girl.

Re-offending Anthony Atkinson, 70, carried out the offences between October 1 and December 31 at a premises in north Cumbria.

He admitted six counts of sexually assaulting a child and a further three of possessing indecent images – some in the highest legal category.

Prosecutor Barbara Webster told Carlisle Crown Court: “It is alleged there are at least three incidents where it [sexual assault] takes place. The complaint was made on January 1 and within a matter of hours she was interviewed by police and the defendant soon after was arrested.”

When officers searched Atkinson’s home they found the collection of indecent images of children

Before sentencing Atkinson, previously of Tanglewood Caravan Park, Silloth, to four years and nine months in prison, Judge Peter Davies invited a member of the victim’s family to tell the court about the effect the offences have had on the girl.

They said: “Previously she was a very happy child and always wanted to please others.”

Before continuing: “Since that day I’ve seen a change in her. She seems more aggressive and has lost all confidence and won’t go anywhere alone… She’s just not the same child.”

The court was told that Atkinson had a number of previous convictions dating back to the 1970s for having sex with a girl under the age of 16. He received short prison sentences.

In handing Atkinson his sentence, the judge added that the ordeal must have been a “terrible thing for a young girl to go through”.

“What this tells me is that you have a prevalent interest in little and young girls. Intercourse on this occasion, one can only express relief that you didn’t go that far on this occasion,” he said.

“This was a targeted persisted offence.”

The judge also ordered that a sexual harm prevention order be issued on Atkinson until further hearing.

April 2016

Silloth pensioner admits child sex crimes

A pensioner is due to be sentenced next month after he admitted a host of child sex assaults.

Anthony Atkinson, 70, appeared at Carlisle Crown Court today (THURS).

He pleaded guilty to six separate sex assaults on the same victim. These were committed between 1st October and 31st December last year when the child was aged under 13.

Atkinson also admitted three counts of making an indecent photograph of a child between 2013 and 1st January this year.

There are said to be 25 illegal images, one of which is classed as category A – the most serious.

Judge Peter Hughes QC adjourned the case and asked for more information about Atkinson’s background.

Sentencing is due to take place at the crown court on 12th May.

In the meantime Atkinson, previously of Tanglewood Caravan Park, Silloth, was remanded in custody.