Man jailed for sex offences against five girls
A WAITER has been sentenced to over ten years in prison for a series of sexual offences against young girls he knew.
Joshua Humphreys, 25, of Rushetts Road, Crawley, was sentenced to ten years and eight months in jail at Lewes Crown Court today.
Humphreys admitted to 19 sexual offences against five girls aged between 12 and 15, between 2011 and 2015, in Crawley, Horsham and East Grinstead, at a hearing on December 8.
He will also be a registered sex offender for life.
At the previous hearing, Humphreys admitted five counts of rape, five of sexual assault, one of sexual communication, and one of causing and inciting sexual activity, against one girl; two counts of sexual activity, one of sexual communication and one of inciting and causing sexual activity against a second girl; one count of sexual assault against a third girl; one count of sexual communication against a fourth girl; and one count of sexual communication against a fifth girl.
Detective Constable Joel Finney, of the West Sussex Safeguarding Investigations Unit, said: “Humphreys was already a registered sex offender.
“He was convicted in February 2016 at Chichester Crown Court of inciting an 11-year-old into sexual activity, and received a suspended sentence.
“Following publicity given to that sentencing, we began to receive further allegations from young girls about his behaviour before that case, and so began this new investigation.
“Gradually the girls revealed that they had been victims of similar, and some even more serious, conduct by Humphreys.
“His offending ranged from the sending of sexual messages by text and social media, to the systematic rape and sexual abuse of one the girls, a 12-year-old, for a year.
“All the victims were aged between 12 and 15, while Humphreys was over 18 at all times. “He is clearly a sexual predator, who sought as many young girls as he could.
“Having seen or met them locally he used social media to befriend them to begin with.
“He freely admitted to us that his intention was to engage in sexual activity with them whenever the chance arose.
“His behaviour towards the 12-year-old who he raped how how he exerted control and influence over her, gradually introducing and normalising some particularly unpleasant and degrading activity.
“We admire the resolute way in which the victims supported our investigation, and were ready to give evidence in court if the need arose.
“Nobody should have to endure conduct such as this.
“If anything like this is happening to you or someone you know, advice and support is available on our website. “You can also contact us online or by calling 101, and arrange to talk in confidence to experienced investigators.”
A Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) issued when Humphreys was sentenced in 2016, and severely restricting his access to children and computers until further court notice, continues in force.
Father’s social media warning after man convicted of sex offences
A father has warned parents of the dangers of social media after a man was convicted of sexual offences against his young daughter.
Joshua Humphreys, 23, a waiter, of Broadfield Barton, Crawley, pleaded guilty to causing or inciting a girl under 13 to engage in sexual activity online.
At Chichester Crown Court on February 17, he was sentenced to two years’ imprisonment suspended for two years, to 240 hours unpaid work, was placed on a sexual offenders work programme, and was given a Sexual Harm Prevention Order to last until further order, severely restricting his access to children and computers.
The father of the victim, who lives in the Horsham district and cannot be identified for legal reasons, has urged parents to keep their children safe on the internet
He said: “I cannot explain the emotional impact this has had on our daughter and family.
“Please check your security settings and talk with your kids about these sorts of things in an age appropriate manner.
“I cannot stress how important this is. This kind of thing seems to happen more and more often.”
He explained that he found the messages on social media while helping his daughter on the internet.
He said: “I thought I had done all I could to keep my daughter safe online by restricting settings and speaking to my daughter about being safe online.
“The messages had an adult nature and were sent to my daughter.
“I replied to the messages pretending to be my daughter. I told him her age to which he replied ‘I don’t care about ages’.”
The father added: “I’m disappointed he hasn’t been sent to prison for what he has done.
“I do accept that he has a Sexual Harm Prevention Order placed on him to monitor and restrict his movements: this will hopefully identify if he reoffends.”