May 2017

Paedophile Gwynedd lifeguard jailed for 50 years


A paedophile former lifeguard from Gwynedd “got what he deserved” when he was handed a 50-year jail term in a tough US jail for raping a 10-year-old girl, says one of the detectives who helped put him behind bars.

Gareth Vincent Hall, 24, from Talysarn near Caernarfon won’t be released until 2066 after he admitted four counts of rape and other sexual offences against the girl at a court in Oregon last year.

Hall, who worked at a leisure centre in Caernarfon, first groomed the girl online, then flew to the USA in April 2015, hired a car and took the girl to various hotels and motels where he raped her.

Her family only learned of the rape after he returned to the UK.

He was already under investigation by North Wales Police after being arrested in October 2014 on suspicion of committing offences online.

February 2016

Gwynedd lifeguard admits raping 10-year-old girl

A Gwynedd lifeguard faces up to 50 years behind bars in the United States after admitting raping a 10-year-old girl.

Gareth Vincent Hall, 22, from Talysarn near Caernarfon, was arrested at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport in May 2015.

Today, at the Lane County Circuit Court in Eugene, Oregon, he admitted four counts of first-degree rape, two of first-degree sodomy, and one of first-degree online sexual corruption of a child.

The US court has already set a minimum of 25-years in prison, but it could rise to 50

He is due to be sentenced on March 1.

Assistant District Attorney and prosecutor Robert Lane said a further charge of kidnapping was dropped.

According to Oregon TV station KMTR, Hall faces a minimum of 25 years in prison and could serve up to 50 years behind bars.

Hall, who appeared thin compared to photographs previously released by police, had his head shaved and was in handcuffs and a green suit.

He raised his head and scanned the room before being asked by the clerk of the court how he would plead.

Hall , who was accompanied by an interpreter, replied “euog” (guilty) in Welsh to each of the seven counts, which were then translated into English.

His pleas mean that Hall will now not face a trial and no witnesses will be called to testify.

Before his plea today, three weeks had provisionally been set aside for a trial.

Hall, who used to work at the Arfon Leisure Centre in Caernarfon, has been in custody in Oregon since his arrest.

He will remain in custody at Lane County Corrections facility until his sentencing.

Hall travelled to Oregon in April 2015 to meet a girl with whom he had been in contact through an online chat site.

Police said he stayed in several local motels and met the girl on multiple occasions over a five-day period.

Police in Eugene learned of the crimes from one of the girl’s parents after Hall had returned to Wales.

Hall was suspended from his job at the leisure centre in October 2014 after a separate criminal investigation by North Wales Police.

North Wales Police confirmed that a man from Talysarn was arrested in October 2014 “on suspicion of offences committed online”.

North Wales Police had been liaising with police in the US.