December 2015

Registered Sex Offender Jailed

A man has been sentenced to six weeks in prison following an appearance at Furness Magistrates’ Court this afternoon.

Derek Ralph Cutmore, 47, of Mount Pleasant, Lindal, pleaded guilty to failing to give appropriate notice to the police about leaving and entering the UK following a trip to Bratislava, Slovakia.

The court heard that he had traveled to Slovakia to see his brother, who was recently made unemployed in the country.

Whilst Magistrates heard that he had made previous trips to visit his brother, all of which had complied with police requirements, they felt Cutmore’s most recent visit was deliberately negligent and as a result was considered a serious offence.

Cutmore has completed three-and-a-half years of a five-year Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) for an offence committed in June 2012.

Along with the 6-week prison sentence, Cutmore received a fine of £230 to be paid to the court.

June 2012

Pervert who sexually assaulted nine-year-old girl avoids prison

A MAN who sexually assaulted a nine-year-old girl by touching has been placed on three years of supervision.

Preston Crown Court heard that Derek Cutmore’s victim viewed him as a “bad man” who had done things to her which were “really wrong”.

The 44-year-old, of Mount Pleasant, Lindal, had pleaded guilty to two charges of sexual assault committed between January 1 and August 5 last year.

The judge dealing with his case said he had orchestrated a situation where he could touch her in a sexual fashion.

The court heard how the offences progressively came to light after the girl’s mother heard a radio article about child abuse and asked her about it.

Mr David Traynor, prosecuting, said on the first occasion, the defendant felt her thigh. Later, he put a hand on her neck, then her bottom and then her thigh. The touching was outside of her clothing.

Mr Richard Bennett, defending, said: “He accepts all the elements of the offences. He had difficulty accepting the sexual nature of his actions. The contact was limited. There was no contact with genitalia.”

Cutmore had spent five and a half months in custody, which was the equivalent of an 11-month jail term.

Judge Heather Lloyd told him in passing sentence that the girl had been inconsolable afterwards. She did not know if she would be believed and had suffered nightmares. She added: “It is clear to me you have no real concept of the damage you have done as a result of your criminal behaviour.’’

Part of the order will involve him living at a hostel in Carlisle. Cutmore will be subject to a sexual offences prevention order, banned from working with children and will be on the sex offenders register, all for five years.

DC Sarah McArthur, of Barrow CID, said: “Cutmore has admitted carrying out sexual assaults on an innocent nine-year-old girl.

“He abused her trust and groomed her over a period of time. He has stolen her childhood and now faces his punishment.’’

Advertisements