February 2015

Serial child molester David Parr jailed for four years

parr1

A child molester who abused five girls between the ages of five and eleven has been jailed for four and a half years.

David Parr carried out the offences in the Renfrewshire area over a 19-year period between July 1990 and September 2009.

The 68-year-old from Linwood, Renfrewshire, was convicted of attempting to rape one girl and indecency offences towards four others.

Parr will also be placed on the sex offenders’ register for life.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard that Parr had preyed on his first victim at addresses in Linwood and Paisley between July 1990 and July 1992 when she was aged between five and six. Parr rubbed himself against the girl and touched her.

He molested another child between May 1997 and May 1999 when she was aged between 10 and 11 in Johnstone and simulated sex with her.

Authorised for Photosales

He also tried to rape a nine-year-old at a house in Linwood on an occasion between June 2001 and June 2002. During a similar period he also molested a 12-year-old in the Renfewshire town.

Parr’s final victim was aged between eight and nine when he touched her between August and September in 2009 in Linwood.

Defence counsel Louise Arrol told the court that Parr recognised the gravity of the offences, and had attended a school which had dealt with his learning difficulties.

Judge Lord Bannatyne said it was clear from reading a statement from one of Parr’s victims that there had been “a major and long-term impact” on her.

The judge said: “There can be only one sentence in a case of this type and that is a significant custodial sentence.”

January 2015

Paedophile living in close proximity to two primary schools even though he has just been convicted of sex attacks on five different girls

A LINWOOD paedophile is living in close proximity to two primary schools even though he has just been convicted of sex attacks on five different girls.

Depraved granddad David Parr is facing jail for a series of offences against young girls in Renfrewshire.

The 68-year-old was found guilty of molesting five different youngsters following a trial at the High Court in Paisley.

His sickening offences took place over a period of 19 years and one of his vulnerable victims was just five years old when he pounced.

After the verdict on Wednesday, Parr was granted bail and returned to his home in Linwood ahead of sentencing later this month.

Although Parr is subject to various bail restrictions, the decision to release him has incensed the parents of one of the girls who think Parr should already be behind bars.

The victim’s father, who we cannot name for legal reasons, told The Gazette: “Obviously I’m absolutely delighted he’s been found guilty but I’m not happy he’s been granted bail.

“He still lives in Linwood, close to two schools and a nursery and yet he’s been convicted of sex attacks on wee girls.

“It’s been a traumatic experience for my daughter and she even had to walk past him on the way into court to give evidence.

“He’s never admitted his guilt and was smirking and drawing us daggers throughout the trial. It was sickening.”

The court heard that Parr attacked the youngsters in Linwood, Paisley and Johnstone between July 1990 and September 2009.

He denied the assaults, forcing all five victims – who can’t be named for legal reasons – to take the stand against him.

The women – one of whom is still just a teenager – sobbed as they told the jury what Parr had done to them.

And Parr, who shook his head in disbelief as he was convicted of the numerous sex attacks, now looks certain to be jailed when he is sentenced later this month.

Parr attacked his first victim on a number of occasions between July 1990 and July 1992.

The court heard he struck at properties in Linwood and Paisley. Parr attacked the girl while she was just five-years-old.

The attacks, which would see Parr touching the girl’s private parts and rubbing himself against her, continued until she was six.

He began molesting his next victim, when she was 10 and the attacks, which took place at a property in Johnstone and a park in the town’s Howwood Road, continued until she was 11.

The court heard they took place between May 1997 and May 1999 and saw Parr touching the woman’s privates, rubbing himself against the primary school pupil and simulating sex with her.

Parr’s third victim was just nine when he subjected her to his vile behaviour.

She told the court that he attacked her at a flat in Linwood sometime between June 2001 and June 2002.

The jury heard he made indecent remarks to her, touched himself, felt the girl up and tried to rape her.

His next victim was 13 when he repeatedly abused her over an 11-month period between 2001 and 2002.

At two properties in Linwood he grabbed the girl, touched her breasts and felt her up.

And in 2009 he found himself another victim.

Between August and September that year he repeatedly molested a girl, who was just nine at the time, by feeling her up.

Judge Lord Bannatyne placed Parr on the Sex Offenders’ Register and deferred sentence.

He was released on bail with special conditions. As part of the court order he is banned from having any contact with his victims.

And he is also banned from having any contact with children under the age of 16 — unless there is someone over the age of 21 with him at the time. Parr was seen smiling as he left the court. He will learn his fate later this month at the High Court in Edinburgh.