Millom paedophile to remain on Sexual Harm Prevention Order indefinitely
A CONVICTED paedophile will remain on a Sexual Harm Prevention Order indefinitely after a review at Crown Court.
Christopher Kershaw, 63, was found guilty by a jury in August at Preston Crown Court of intentionally touching an eight-year-old girl.
The offence happened in Millom between January 1 and December 31 2011.
Kershaw, now of Duke Street, Whitehaven, was sentenced to a total of nine-and-a-half years in November.
Kershaw appeared before the court again today (5) for a review of the wording of the order.
The length of the order has not been changed and will remain in place until further notice.
Breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order is a separate penalty that carries a sentence of up to five years imprisonment.
His prison sentence also remains unaffected, with Kershaw serving five-and-a-half years in custody and the remaining four years on licence.
He also remains on the Sex Offenders’ Register indefinitely.
Child sex abuser jailed for more than nine years
A paedophile has been jailed for almost a decade after being found guilty of inappropriately touching a young girl.
Christopher Kershaw’s trial took place at Preston Crown Court in August.
The 62-year-old was found guilty by a jury of intentionally touching an eight-year-old girl between January 1 and December 31, 2011, in Millom.
On Friday Kershaw, now of Duke Street, Whitehaven, was sentenced to a total of nine and-a-half years.
He will serve five and-a-half years in custody and the remaining four years on licence and will remain on the Sex Offenders’ Register indefinitely.
In 2014, Kershaw was given a three year community order for making indecent images of children.
Millom man sentenced for indecent images of children
A MILLOM man has been given a three year community order for making indecent images of children.
Christopher Kershaw, 60 of Festival Road, Millom, was sentenced today at Barrow Crown Court after pleading guilty to 15 counts of making indecent images.
As well as the community order, Mr Kershaw has been placed on the sexual offender register for five years and must attend a sex offender treatment programme.
He has also been issued a five year sexual offender prevention order.
On December 2 2013, officers executed a search warrant at Mr Kershaw’s home address and seized a laptop and mobile phone.
The devices were forensically examined by the Force’s High Tech Crime Unit. Officers found more than 700 still images and 17 movies of varying levels on the laptop and one level four image on the mobile phone.
Mr Kershaw was charged on February 12 and appeared before Furness Magistrates Court the next day where he pleaded guilty to all charges. He was remanded in custody.
Detective Inspector Nick Coughlan said: “The sentence imposed today reflects the nature of the images which Mr Kershaw was viewing. Images of this nature have been created via the suffering and abuse of children and it is a criminal offence for these to be viewed.
“The sentence given by the judge should act as a deterrent and we will continue to work to bring those to justice who believe that they can view indecent images of children.
“Anyone who has any information or concerns about what is being viewed on their computer by other people can contact Cumbria Police on 101.”
Judge Paul Batty said: “The sentence issued is in the hope of proper treatment and does not deter from the seriousness of this matter.”
A Millom dad who has admitted to downloading images of child abuse is due to be sentenced today
Christopher Kershaw, 59, pleaded guilty to 15 separate counts of making indecent photographs of a child at Furness Magistrates’ Court on February 13.
The charge relates to downloading images to view them.
The 59-year-old, of Millom, will be sentenced at Preston Crown Court today.
Kershaw, a former children’s rugby union coach and primary school janitor, appeared on the Pride of Britain Awards last year when his son was honoured for saving his life after he suffered a heart attack.