November 2016

Convicted paedophile breached Sexual Harm Prevention Order

A convicted paedophile set up a false Facebook account so he could communicate with young boys a court was told.

Keith Simpson pretended to be a 10-year-old boy from Switzerland called Cody and had chats with three boys aged 12, 13 and 16.

He was caught when he took a mobile phone to a meeting with police, probation and mental health officers who were supervising him and incriminating messages were found on the phone.

Simpson, 43, of Central Drive, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

He was refused bail and remanded in custody to appear on December 21 for sentence at Preston Crown Court by District Judge Jeff Brailsford sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Simpson had a previous conviction for sexually assaulting a young boy.

He also had five previous offences of making and possessing indecent pictures of children for which he was on a suspended prison sentence.

On August 10, Simpson was at a meeting with police, probation and mental health officers who were supervising him.

He was asked to hand over his mobile phone for inspection.

At first he said he did not have one, but he had been seen using it in the reception area.

Simpson then handed over the phone.

There was evidence on it that he had set up a fake profile on Facebook, claiming he was a 13-year-old boy from Switzerland.

He had exchanged messages with three boys, which he was banned from doing by the Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

November 2013

Dad’s blast at ‘lenient’ sentence for paedophile who abused his son

The distraught father of an eight-year-old boy who was molested as he played outside today criticised a judge’s decision to allow the sex attacker to walk free.

The man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of his son, says his boy can no longer sleep without the light on, has become aggressive and is getting into fights at home and at school since the incident on March 5.

He spoke out after Keith Simpson was sentenced to six months in prison, suspended for two years, for sexually assaulting the boy while he played with his younger brother in an alleyway off Bloomfield Road, South Shore.

Simpson, 39, has learning difficulties, and was said to have grabbed the child from behind before sexually assaulting him.

The boy’s father said: “[Our son] came straight in and told us what had happened so we could call police. Another child might have shrugged it off. We would have liked to have seen Simpson serve time in prison for what he has done. I know the court will have done what it sees fit, but what it was one of their children? It does seem lenient.”

Simpson, of Caunce Street, Blackpool, was also given a two year supervision order and was ordered to sign the Sexual Offenders’ Register for seven years at Burnley Crown Court.

Simpson denied the charge, but was found guilty following a trial at Preston Crown Court.

The boy’s father said: “He doesn’t seem to be himself after what happened – it’s changed him.

“At first he was quiet and he wouldn’t sleep in his own bed.

“After maybe two months we got him back into his room, but he still sleeps with the light on.

“About four months ago he started to become aggressive and punching walls, and he’s been getting into fights in the playground and at home with his brothers. I just hope he can get past this, and start to put it at the back of his head.”

Judge Simon Newell told Simpson: “If you start messing about with any little boys again, or do anything else like that again, you will go to prison for six months.