October 2018

Sex attacker jailed after attacking mother and daughter while on day release from psychiatric unit


A man from Jersey has been jailed for seven years after attacking a mother and daughter in the UK while on day release from a psychiatric unit.

47-year-old Andy Johnson, also known as Andrew Le Feuvre and Andrew Hannam, was granted unsupervised leave from the Bethlem Royal Hospital in Beckenham, south London, on 2 February 2018 – a decision approved by the Ministry of Justice.

Johnson, a former soldier who served with the Royal Hampshire Regiment before he was discharged on medical grounds, broke the curfew. After drinking at a pub and taking the drug spice, he was travelling on a bus back to the hospital when he got off to follow a woman and her 13-year-old daughter as they made their way home.

The girl spotted Johnson as she and her mother had arrived back at their house. Johnson forced his way in, warning the mother “Do as I say and you won’t get hurt”. The pair begin to scream, alerting the girl’s father who was in the house. He confronted Johnson, chasing him out while his partner called the police.

Johnson was born in Salisbury and brought up in children’s homes in Jersey and claims to have suffered sexual abuse during his childhood.

He was charged with, and later admitted, trespass with intent to commit a sexual offence and was jailed for seven years. He will remain on licence after he has served his sentence.

Johnson has 52 previous convictions, including:

  • 24 September 1996 – Convicted of indecent assault of a six-year-old at a hotel in Jersey.

  • 12 November 1999 – Johnson was convicted after pretending to be a policeman to get into a woman’s flat in south London, raping her and attempting to rape her 10-year-old daughter. He was given a life sentence.

  • 21 January 2016 – Johnson was convicted of indecent assault and attempted rape dating back to February 1995 in Jersey. Advances in DNA profiling resulted in the conviction. He was sentenced to six and a half years in prison.

Johnson had been sent to maximum-security Broadmoor after his conviction in 1999. In 2012, he was transferred to Bethlem Hospital because doctors thought he was getting better.

The doctor who made the decision to grant day release for Johnson in February said he was completing programmes on his personality disorder and substance abuse. 

January 2016

Man jailed for over six years for attempted rape in Jersey two decades ago

Andrew Hannam who was previously known as Andrew Le Feuvre has been sentenced to six and a half years in prison for attempting to rape a woman in Jersey over two decades ago.

The 44-year-old is already in prison, currently serving a life sentence in England for the rape and attempted rape of a mother and her young daughter in their home in the UK.

He was sent to Broadmoor and subsequently transferred to another secure unit from where he appeared before the Royal Court via video link for sentencing.

The case was re-opened 18 months ago following advances in DNA profiling which helped identify Hannam as the suspect.

The court heard how almost twenty one years ago on a cold February evening, the victim was returning home, when a man forced his way through her front door and tried to rape her in her own house.

The attack was described by the judge as “horrific, planned and sustained”.

She told our reporter Katie Robinson the scars in her memory have lasted two decades.

The DNA database only started the year after the offence took place but DNA profiling has come on massively in recent years.

Police say they are now able to identify offenders with a single cell, decades after doing wrong.

Having evaded the police for twenty years Hannam admitted attempting to force the woman into sex in October last year, along with other charges of gross indecency and indecent assault.

Today he faced the prospect of the rest of his life behind bars.

November 1999

Rapist jailed for ‘horrific’ attack

A psychopathic rapist who subjected a woman and her 10-year-old daughter to a “horrific” sexual assault was yesterday given three life sentences.

Andrew Le Feuvre, 28, originally from Jersey, pretended to be a policeman to get into the woman’s south London flat in September last year.

The Old Bailey judge, Mr Justice Blofeld, said Le Feuvre was a “danger to women” and directed that he should be transferred to Broadmoor special hospital without limit of time, within 28 days.

Le Feuvre had pleaded guilty to raping the mother twice and attempting to rape the child. He also admitted five charges of indecent assault on them and was given a concurrent sentence of eight years on each.

The judge told Le Feuvre: “You have pleaded guilty to a number of the most horrific sexual offences which, without exaggeration, if not the most serious, certainly fall into the worst one or two I have heard.”

Jeremy Donne, prosecuting, told the court: “These offences can only be described as a savage attack of the utmost depravity committed on a mother and her daughter in what should have been the safety of their own home.”

The woman, 35, had submitted, fearing for her daughter’s life after Le Feuvre said he had a knife and would kill them. But when it became clear the attack was being diverted to the child, who had been held down on a settee as her mother was raped next to her, the naked woman grabbed the scissors, said Mr Donne.

She struggled with Le Feuvre while trying unsuccessfully to free her daughter, before running to a neighbour’s flat.

Mr Donne said Le Feuvre fled to Israel. He was traced by police, but took an overdose. He was transferred to King’s College hospital, south London, for a liver transplant but was arrested after he made an unexpected recovery without one.

Nadine Radford QC, defending, said Le Feuvre had been drinking heavily when he attacked the family. Medical reports showed he had a psychopathic disorder.