October 2012

Facebook predator Carl Bielby caught by parents of Hull victims’

A Facebook predator who targeted girls as young as 11 from a Hull school has been jailed.

Carl Bielby, 25, used the popular social networking site to groom five pupils, the oldest aged 13, at the secondary.

It has emerged parents brought Bielby to justice after detectives failed to take action for six months and did not charge Bielby until more than a year after he first appeared on their radar.

Bielby offered to buy the girls jewellery and tried to lure them to his home in Great Thornton Street, west Hull, where he said he would “get them pregnant”.

In May last year, he was caught by an 11-year-old girl’s mother, who saw Bielby’s explicit online chat with her daughter.

She joined in the conversation, saying: “I am her mother, do not contact her again, I’m going to call the police.”

Bielby was warned by the police about his behaviour, but over the next three months he groomed four more girls, aged between 11 and 13.

It was only after the children told their parents that the school was contacted and it informed social services and the police.

However, it took a further three months for Bielby to be arrested and he was not charged until June this year.

He has now been jailed for 22 months.

Prosecutor Simon Waley told Hull Crown Court: “He asked one girl if she liked sex toys. He was spoken to by the police and given a warning.

“He denied he was responsible for sending the messages. In July the school was approached by more parents with concerns and it contacted social services with a list of girls’ with whom he had made contact.”

He was charged with offences against two of the girls.

The first was 13 and she told Bielby her age.

He then told her he was 23 and wanted to “get with her”, he sent her indecent messages and asked her to meet him.

She told him to leave her alone and said she would tell the police and told her mother.

Bielby then used Facebook to contact an 11-year-old girl at the same school.

Mr Waley said: “She got a message from him asking for a meeting and he said she could come to stay at his house. He said he would “get her pregnant” and offered to buy her jewellery.

“She was responsible and said she was ‘too young’ for him and he replied ‘don’t worry, I won’t tell your mum and dad’. She then told him to leave her alone.”

When he was arrested in November, Bielby claimed his phone had been hacked.

He claimed he could have been responsible for sending some of the messages “as a laugh” but “couldn’t remember” because he had a “bad memory”.

The police recovered from his mobile phone two indecent videos of a young girl.

He was released on bail and was not interviewed again by the police until May this year.

Bielby confessed to the police that he wanted to have sex with the young girls he was chatting to.

Mr Waley said: “He told police he would have met the girls from Facebook and if they had been willing he would have had sex with them, even the girls as young as 11.”

He pleaded guilty to two counts of causing a girl to engage in sexual activity and one count of making indecent images of child.

Anil Murray, mitigating, said: “He suffers from depression and had cut himself off. He had become somewhat of a loner and his only contact with people was over the internet.”

Sentencing, Judge Mark Bury told Bielby: “You made contact with young girls on Facebook. One girl contacted the police after the way in which you had dealt with her.

“The police spoke to you and warned you about your conduct, but you went on, not withstanding the warning, to commit more offences.

“You were to make admissions to the police and it is plain that these admissions aggravate your position because you were frank to the extent you were prepared to have full sex with these young girls of 11, knowing how old they were.

“You plainly have a predilection to prepubescent girls.”

Bielby was ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register for ten years and given an indefinite Sexual Offences Prevention Order to protect young girls.

After the case, Detective Sergeant Stuart Fox, of the Public Protection Unit, explained why no action was taken against Bielby in May last year.

He said: “If an individual has no history of similar offences and there is no intelligence to suggest there is any greater risk to the public, we have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

“Giving people a caution requires them to admit to an offence, which ensures they know that they are in the wrong. It also ensures we have recorded the information on police systems for future intelligence.

“Human Rights legislation can rightly prevent restrictions being imposed on individual in terms of their internet use and indeed it would be extremely hard to monitor any such restriction.”