November 2015: Malcolm Ray is now back living back in Dunbar

October 2010

Town slams door on sex offender


A SEX beast who subjected two young girls to years of abuse from when they were as young as five has been driven away from an area of Dunbar – after plans emerged to rehouse him three doors down from the town’s primary school.

Malcolm Ray, 37, was caged for 18 months in March after preying on two young girls during the 1980s and in 1990.

Twisted Ray was given a more lenient sentence as he admitted to having used lewd, indecent and libidinous practices and behaviour towards the women only before his 18th birthday, making him a young offender – though the exact dates of his offences were unknown.

The abuse – carried out in Prestonpans and Ray’s native Eyemouth – left one girl suffering severe depression, and the other victim worrying she may never be able to have children.

The pair waived their right to anonymity just three months after Ray was jailed at Jedburgh Sheriff Court, to speak out in the hope of helping other victims.

Now, up to 200 incensed residents have won a battle to stop sick Ray moving into a family home on Lammermuir Crescent, just yards from Dunbar Primary School, after his release – believed to be on December 11.

He had planned to live in the home of his wife’s brother but a campaign which gathered force on the internet – and the threat of protests and a petition – forced the family to rethink their plans.

November 2002

Sex offender jailed after attacking teenage girl

A TEENAGE girl was indecently assaulted when she left a Borders disco to get some fresh air.

Her attacker Malcolm Ray, 30, was already on the sex offenders’ register for touching a girl’s bottom at a funfair in Huntingdonshire, England, a court was told.

Ray, originally from Dunbar, East Lothian, had faced trial accused of raping the 17-year-old girl outside the disco in an alley in the early hours of the morning.

But when he appeared from custody at the High Court in Edinburgh yesterday, his guilty plea to a reduced charge was accepted.

Removal man Ray admitted pulling down the 17-year-old’s trousers and touching her

He told police afterwards that he had drunk eight or nine pints of lager and four rums that night. In his drunken state he thought the girl had fancied him.

“Explanation it may be, excuse it isn’t,” judge Lady Smith told him.

Ray was jailed for a year for the indecent assault near the Home Arms Hotel in Home Street, Eyemouth, on August 3.

An agent for Ray said his client genuinely thought the girl would welcome his advances.

He said: “He accepts unreservedly that was not the position and he misjudged the situation.”

Ray was “genuinely sorry” for what he did, added the lawyer.

The court heard that in July 2000, Ray was fined for an indecent assault at a fairground where he was working at the time. He grabbed a girl who was talking to some of his friends.