Update: Recently spotted in Cardiff.

February 2012

Brothers jailed for raping child 40 years ago


TWO brothers have been jailed for a total of 19 years for raping a child 40 years ago.

Brian Perry, 61, a man with no previous convictions, was jailed for nine years his while elder brother Dennis, 64, received 10 years because of his previous assaults on children.

The law finally caught up with the pair four decades after they abused a small boy in woodlands and in the public toilets of Victoria Park, Cardiff – a popular place for family days out in the 1960s and ‘70s.

Their victim was 50-years-old by the time he had the courage to come forward and report them to South Wales Police, a jury at Cardiff Crown Court had heard.

The brothers claimed he was lying which forced him to give evidence at a trial last month and to undergo cross examination by defence counsel.

But jailing the Perrys today, Judge Stephen Hopkins QC said the child had been assaulted not only by them but by others too – men now deceased.

“From the evidence we heard, paedophilic, homosexual behaviour was endemic in your family. You stole from that young lad his innocence”.

Brian Perry, 20 at the time, had taken the boy to a piggery and had sex with him after inviting him to look for conkers then ordering him to strip, the court heard. He paid him 10p to keep quiet.

He had also taken the boy to the woods and assaulted him in a house where men were gathered round a kitchen table playing cards.

Dennis Perry, married at the time, raped the boy in a house and also followed him into the toilets at Victoria Park where families were enjoying a summer’s day in the paddling pool.

The man said fear had stopped him crying out.

Dennis Perry, a retired labourer, had first been convicted of an indecent assault on a boy in 1959. In 1962, he assaulted a female and the same year committed a second offence against a young boy and was sent to an approved school. Later he was jailed for 18 months for sex offences against a girl aged four.

The brothers, sitting side by side in the dock, showed no emotion at all as the judge spoke or when they were being led away to the cells. 

David Webster, defending, said: “They lived together [at the old family home in Heol yr Odyn, Ely] and relied on each other. Whether they will be able to give each other support in custody is open to doubt”.

Both will be on the Sex Offenders’ Register for the rest of their lives.