October 2018

Plymouth paedophile run out of town by locals is jailed


A convicted sex offender who claimed he was run out of Plymouth by vigilantes was jailed after moving to Wales without telling police.

Steven John Clements was required to notify the authorities of where he was living but disappeared off the radar in March – only to be arrested for shoplifting in Pembrokeshire, Wales, six months later.

Clements appeared at Swansea Crown Court where it was revealed the authorities had no knowledge as to how long he had been living in Wales prior to his arrest.

Clements was jailed at Liverpool Crown Court in 2000 for six counts of indecent assault on boys aged nine, 10, and 13 and put on the sex offenders’ register.

He was subsequently made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) to limit his access to children.

Hannah George, prosecuting, told the court that in February this year Clements was living in Plymouth.

However when Devon and Cornwall Police officers called at the address they had listed for him, they were told he had recently left.

The last contact police had with Clements was on March 15 when he registered with them as being of “no fixed abode”.

He then disappeared and did not register any permanent address with police as he was required to do.

The court heard that on September 12 a man was arrested for stealing a laptop computer from the Tesco store in Pembroke Dock

He initially gave a false name but when his fingerprints were checked on the police computer, the shoplifter turned out to be Clements.

Clements, of London Road, Pembroke Dock, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with notification requirements and to theft from a shop.

The court heard he has 15 previous convictions for 32 offences, eight of which are for sexual offences, as well as four breaches of his sexual offences prevention order.

Miss George told the court one of his breaches involved having contact with children aged seven and 13 – but he had inadvertently rung a police officer on his mobile phone while with the youngsters and had accidentally left a 14-minute answerphone message which recorded his meeting.

Judge Keith Thomas sentenced him to 20 months in prison for breaching the sexual harm prevention order and two months for the shoplifting.

The judge revoked the existing order and imposed a sexual harm prevention order to run for 10 years.

February 2016

Recently released paedophile jailed for intimidating rape victim

A newly released prisoner has been sent back to jail after he tried to stop a rape victim giving evidence against a friend who he had met in Exeter Jail.

Steven Clements was offered money by the fellow inmate to contact the mother of the victim and threaten her family the day before a major rape trial was due to start.

Sex offender Clements was living at a bail hostel in Camborne, Cornwall after being released, and was caught on CCTV making the menacing call outside a supermarket.

Police were able to trace the call to the friend’s phone and tie in the exact time it was made with the date stamp on the CCTV.

Clements has a long criminal history dating back to 2000 when he was jailed for 21 months for abusing young boys who he met through his work as a basketball coach.

He was living at Ashtree Farm Court, Willaston, on the Wirral in Cheshire at the time but moved to the West Country. He was serving a jail sentence for breaking the terms of the sex offenders register when he met the defendant, who was on remand at Exeter.

Clements had been promised money by the defendant to intimidate the witness and he was arrested after he walked into a courtroom at Exeter Crown Court and tried to approach him in the dock to ask for his money.

Police were already investigating the witness intimidation and were able to identify him from the CCTV footage.

No details of the case which he tried to nobble can be published at this time for legal reasons.

Clements, who was living at East Hill, Camborne, when he made the call but had moved to Smythen Street, Exeter by the time of his arrest the next day, admitted witness intimidation.

He was jailed for 12 months by Judge Erik Salomonsen, who also presided over the case which Clements tried to interfere with.

The Judge told him:”These courts do not often hear cases of the severity of that case. Your actions struck at the very heart of the criminal justice system in which witnesses come to court without outside influence to give honest evidence.

“You set out to ensure that did not take place. You have 14 convictions and are a registered sex offender and you came to know the defendant while serving a sentence for breaching the requirements of the sex offenders’ register.

“You made this call and then came to this court to see the defendant, no doubt to carry through your desire for money. I bear in mind this was a single phone call and no physical action was taken.”

Miss Francesca Whebell, prosecuting, said the call was made to the mother of a woman who was a complainant in a rape case on the day before it was due to start at Exeter Crown Court in January.

She said:”Clements spoke to the mother and said he was calling on behalf of the defendant. He said he knew where she and her daughter lived and there would be big consequences if she gave evidence.

“The mother dialled 1471 to get the number and contacted the police. The next day Clements came to this court where he approached the dock and attempted to speak to the defendant.

“He was prevented from doing do but arrested as he left court. His mobile was not the one which made the call but inquiries traced the phone and its owner said he had lent it to Clements.

“The call was made outside a supermarket and CCTV showed him making the call.”

The mother was left shaken and feared for the safety of her family. She was so anxious she asked police to fit a personal attack alarm at her home. She has also been treated for anxiety and depression.

Mr Stephen Nunn, defending, said Clements had been unsophisticated and acted because he was offered an unspecified amount of money.

He said:”He had just been released with a discharge grant and spent four days at a hostel in Cornwall. He was about to become homeless and made the call in the hope of getting some money.

“He never asked how much and never got paid anything. He did not even try to withhold the number when he made the threat. He walked into court to seek further instructions, which shows how amateurish he was.”


May 2007

Stay away from kids PERVERT!

A PAEDOPHILE who exploited his position as a basketball coach to abuse young boys has been banned from going near children again.

Steven Clements was jailed for 21 months in 2000 after indecently assaulting four boys whom he befriended and baby-sat for.

But he appeared in court again yesterday after police officers said they were worried about his behaviour and feared he might start approaching children again.

The force asked for a sexual offences prevention order against 28-year-old Clements, saying it was necessary to protect the public from him.

Clements, from Ashtree Farm Court, Willaston, was found guilty of six charges against Wirral boys who were then between nine and 14 years old.

Clements took the boys to basketball matches when he was a coach and was were trusted by the children’s parents, the court was told.

But the man, described as a talented basketball player from a good home, indecently assaulted a nine-year-old boy as he slept, and an 11-year-old boy who told the court he “was too scared to move” when Clements attacked him.

Clements also assaulted a 14-year-old boy and told another 11-year-old he had attacked: “Sorry, it is the type of thing I do. Don’t tell your mum and dad please. I won’t do it to you again.”

District Judge Nick Sanders granted the order and told the Neston man he was banned from going near any children under 17.

He added: “You became friendly with the families of the boys and they trusted you with their children.

“They let their children go with you to the park to play basketball and matches. They also trusted you to babysit and care for their boys. Regrettably I see no remorse from you.”

An exception was made for three relatives who he can see only if one or both of their parents are present.

Clements could face five years in jail if he breaches the order and approaches children without the permission of the chief constable of Merseyside.

The ban lasts until any further order is made or notification to the court.

Speaking outside Wirral magistrates court, Clements said he did not think there was any need to make the order.