AN abusive and violent rapist jailed for 19 years for repeatedly sexually assaulting a woman in Kent is a former Barrow man who was convicted of shaking a baby in 2009, it can now be revealed.
Christopher Newton left a four-week-old child with multiple injuries including broken ribs, serious head injuries, bruising to the genitals and fractures to the hip and foot back in 2009 when he lived in Barrow.
Then 23, Newton had denied the offences of cruelty to a person under 16 by wilfully assaulting a child, wilfully ill-treating a child, causing grievous bodily harm and unlawful wounding, but was found guilty after a trial.
In November 2010, Newton was jailed for two years and in May 2012, after being released, he was given a further 10-month sentence after pleading guilty to committing perjury at his original trial by fabricating text messages and Facebook conversations.
Since then, he moved to Kent and in February of this year, going by the name Christopher Moore, the 30-year-old was jailed for 19 years after being found guilty of nine counts of rape.
The Crown Prosecution Service has now released details to The Mail that confirm his previous identity as Christopher Newton.
During his trial at Canterbury Crown Court at the beginning of this year, Moore was described as a “controlling, abusive and violent rapist” and even while in prison, he managed to get his victim’s number and sent threats so she would withdraw her support for a prosecution.
The court heard he strangled, punched, smothered with a pillow and kicked his victim and threatened to kill her pet dog, and even vowed to reunite her with her dead parents.
MAN JAILED FOR CHILD CRUELTY
A 23-YEAR-OLD has been jailed for two years after being found guilty of child cruelty.
Sentencing Christopher David Newton, a judge said only he knew if the verdict was the correct one.
The honourable Mr Justice MacDuff also blasted the defendant for committing “wicked perjury” during the trial after he attempted to mislead the court with forged evidence last week.
A jury of seven men and five women took one hour and 40 minutes to find him not guilty of cruelty to a person under 16 by willfully assaulting a child and grievous bodily harm with intent.
But Newton, of Barrow, was found guilty of child cruelty and GBH without intent between August 4 and September 3 last year.
The court has heard how the youngster was left with a brain injuryand 23 bone fractures.
Newton has always denied causing any of the injuries.
After the verdict at Preston Crown Court yesterday the court was told how Newton had pleaded guilty to harassing ex-girlfriends on two occasions.
The defence team said they were not offering any mitigation and that their client had asked to be sentenced straight away.
Mr Justice MacDuff told Newton: “You have been convicted of one offence of cruelty and the more serious offence of child cruelty, you have been found not guilty. Only you know if that is the correct verdict. You also shook the child dreadfully but the jury do not believe you intended to cause serious injury.
“This is a very much shorter sentence that if you had been convicted of all charges.
“You committed wicked perjury before this court, but I am not sentencing you to that.”
Crown Prosecution Service spokesman Lee Dacre said after sentencing: “From the outset this was a challenging and complex case which was made even more difficult due to its distressing nature.
“The CPS Prosecution Council Roderick Priestley and Cumbria police have worked tirelessly to present the strongest possibly evidence in court and the jury found that Christopher Newton was responsible of inflicting injury on a child.
“The prosecution team has had some justice on behalf of the child who has suffered at the hands of Christopher Newton.”